The initial land grant and monies to establish the Augustinian priory were made by William de Lovetot in 1103.
The priory was dissolved on the orders of Henry VIII on 15th November 1539. The property was granted to Francis Talbot, 5th Earl of Shrewsbury on condition that the Earl should provide a glove for the right hand of the sovereign at the coronation. This tradition continues to this day.
Over time most of the former monastic buildings were plundered for their stone, but the nave of the church was saved for use as a parish church, and the early 14th century gatehouse was used as a school.
Extensive restoration and enlargements of the church began in the mid-19th century and continued through the 20th century.
For a larger, easier to read, version of the following displays, click here...