Sloswicke's Hospital located on Retford’s Churchgate, opposite St.Swithun’s Church, was founded in 1657, rebuilt in 1806 (at a cost of £525) and altered in 1819 by the addition of two more tenements. It is finished in the mezzo-gothic style of architecture.
In the mid-20th century work in the front gardens encountered old foundations, so it is probable that the buildings of 1806 were set back further from the road compared with that of 1657. Originally it was designed to house 6 elderly men.
[Left] Over the entrance which fronts the west side of the building, is the inscription. Mease de Dieu, ex dono, Richardi Sloswicke Generosi, Rebuilt 1806. Beaumont Marshall, George Thornton, Gent Bailiffs.
[Photos: ©2012 G.A.Herdman]
Picture the Past website* also has several images of Sloswicke’s Hospital.
*To use Picture the Past’s website, click on the Search for Images tab. Simply entering ‘Sloswicke’ in the first Enter words to search for in the box below links to several older images of the hospital.
Sloswicke Trust - a quick summary.